driver_attach question

From: Anil kumar
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 21:07:06 EST

Hi,

Should driver_attach( ) return an error value?

I have disabled a device in the system bios, The
driver fails to report -ENODEV.
This is for 2.6.11.1 kernel
When I dig through the PCI subsystem and driver_attach
code, I find that :

pci_register_driver is returing zero(no error) even
when the device is not present in the system.
But when I check driver_attach( ), I get -ENODEV for
driver_probe_device(). which is correct. But
driver_attach( ) does not return this error value.
driver attach( ) is called in bus_add_driver( ) and
bus_add_driver just returns error=0
Hence I get error=0 in pci_register_driver.

Am I missing something in the flow?

int pci_register_driver( )
{
error = driver_register(&drv->driver);
return error;
}

int driver_register(struct device_driver * drv)
{
return bus_add_driver(drv);
}

int bus_add_driver(struct device_driver * drv)
{
driver_attach(drv);
return error;
}

void driver_attach(struct device_driver * drv)
{
error = driver_probe_device(drv, dev);
}

with regards,