Re: Yet more display troubles with 2.6.15-rc5-mm2

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 16:15:40 EST

On 12/13/05, Antonino A. Daplas <adaplas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jesper Juhl wrote:
> > On 12/12/05, Antonino A. Daplas <adaplas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Also, these 2 patches are present in mm but not in Linus' tree. Can
> >> you check which of these are the culprit, if any?
> >>
> >> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.15-rc2/2.6.15-rc2-mm1/broken-out/vgacon-fix-doublescan-mode.patch
> >> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.15-rc2/2.6.15-rc2-mm1/broken-out/vgacon-workaround-for-resize-bug-in-some-chipsets.patch
> >>

> > Since this is 2.6.15-rc5-mm2 I grabbed these two instead:
> > http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.15-rc5/2.6.15-rc5-mm2/broken-out/vgacon-fix-doublescan-mode.patch
> > http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.15-rc5/2.6.15-rc5-mm2/broken-out/vgacon-workaround-for-resize-bug-in-some-chipsets.patch
> >
> > Reverting both patches didn't fix the problem. Starting X then
> > switching back to a text mode console still results in a completely
> > messed up text console. X is fine, I can switch back to it no problem,
> > but text consoles go bye-bye...
> >
> > Would there be any point in trying a kernel with just one of the
> > patches reverted?
>
> Those 2 patches are independent, so it's possible that their side
> effects can cancel each other out. So yes, try reversing one patch
> at a time.

I just tried two 2.6.15-rc5-mm2 kernels; the first with only the
vgacon-fix-doublescan-mode.patch backed out and the second one with
only the vgacon-workaround-for-resize-bug-in-some-chipsets.patch one
backed out. Both kernels still had the problem, so I think we can
conclude that these two atches are innocent since reverting both of
them or just one or the other does not resolve the issue.

For what it's worth, I also just build a 2.6.15-rc5-git3 kernel and
that one works perfectly, so it's clearly something still left in -mm.

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>