Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 14:48:56 EST

Greg KH wrote:
On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 04:17:53PM +0100, Jakob Oestergaard wrote:

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 02:39:31PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 06:00:49PM +0100, Jakob Oestergaard wrote:

In the real world, however, admins currently need to pick out specific
versions of the kernel for specific workloads (try running a large
fileserver on anything but 2.6.11.11 for example - any earlier or later
kernel will barf reliably.

Have you filed a but at bugzilla.kernel.org about this? If not, how do
you expect it to get fixed?

I don't expect to get it fixed. It's futile. It can get fixed in one
version and broken two days later, and it seems the attitude is that
that is just fine.

Huh? That is just not true at all. Please give us a bit more credit
than that.

After a long long back-and-forth, 2.6.11 was fixed to the point where it
could reliably serve files (at least on uniprocessor configurations -
and in my setup I don't see problems on NUMA either, but as far as I
know that's just me being lucky).

Right after that, someone thought it was a great idea to pry out the PCI
subsystem and shovel in something else. Find, that's great for a
development kernel, but for a kernel that's supposed to be stable it's
just not something you can realistically do and expect things to work
afterwards. And things broke - try mounting 10-20 XFS filesystems
simultaneously on 2.6.14. Boom - PCI errors.

What PCI errors are you speaking of? We did that PCI work to fix a lot
of other machines that were having problems. And yes, this did break
some working machines, and we are very sorry about this. But in the
future, changes to this area will not cause this to happen due to the
changes made.

I don't think it's reasonable to get overly upset about *accidental* breakages. People make mistakes, otherwise you don't get progress.

Note that I haven't changed my mind about deliberately removing features for which there is no practical alternative.
--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)