Re: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 03:06:02 EST

Nix wrote:
[...]

FWIW when glxgears is running, X consumes about 2% more CPU time
than normal: it's almost impossible to detect.

Sure - the load is low - and so is performance. As if the machine
isn't really trying - perhaps the driver is waiting when there is
no need to wait.

It sounds to me almost like direct rendering is disabled, which will of
course have catastropic effects on performance. What does glxinfo say?

No. While it is bad, it is not as bad as sw rendering. Tuxracer
with sw rendering is unbearable - 2 seconds per frame or so!

Most people don't seem to have performance problems,
with their radeons, so perhaps my card is a bit different and
don't fit the driver.

The X startup log can also be useful here. I've noticed that if you
get the AGPMode wrong in either direction, the results can be
catastrophic: if it's too low the card is terribly slow and if it's
too high you soon get the X server hanging as it waits forever for
the card to respond to something it hasn't had time to receive (or
something like that, anyway).

Well, there is no AGPmode for a PCI card, is there?

Helge Hafting