anticipatory scheduler and raid rebuild

From: CaT
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 00:22:16 EST

I'll be able to play a bit more with this later but for now I thought
I'd toss it into the wilderness.

I had jsut setup a nice little server with WD 10k drives and s/w raid 1.
The kernel is 2.6.14.3. The CPU is a p4 3Ghz and it's an Intel 82875P
chipset. In order to test that it'll build ok with missing disks I
pulled one out, booted, shutdown, put it back in and rebooted. I then
went on to try and get one of the raids to rebuild with:

mdadm --manage -a /dev/md6 /dev/sdb8

And then the server slowed to a crawl. Well not even that. It slowed to
the point of freezing and occasionally stuttering with activity other
then the rebuild. I got a similar reaction when it was rebuilding it.
Essentially, whilst the rebuild was in progress no disk io or even /sys
and /proc io could be done then a flurry of excitement and then back to
the freeze.

I then remembered that I could change schedulers on the disks and so did
the following (having read cfq is a nice choice):

echo cfq >/sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
echo cfq >/sys/block/sdb/queue/scheduler

And the system became usable right after the commends were allowed to
pass through. Whilst the load (when I could get a reading) was 8+ before
it now hangs around 0.8-1 and the system is very responsive. The rebuild
speed is slower now; 25k vs 40-50k before.

So, does my hardware suck and AS is pushing it beyond its limits or is
AS unsuitable for the task I am putting it through or is AS buggy and
all should be well with it?

--
"To the extent that we overreact, we proffer the terrorists the
greatest tribute."