Re: 2.6.15-rc5-mm2: ehci_hcd crashes on load sometimes

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 16:37:08 EST

On Monday, 12 December 2005 22:09, Andrew Morton wrote:
> "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > It's best to actually send a copy of line 620 - kernels vary a lot, and
> > > many developers won't have that particualr -mm tree handy.
> > >
> > > The way I normally do this is to do `gdb vmlinux' and then `l
> > > *0xffffffff880ad9d0'.
> >
> > Does it work for modules too?
>
> Ah. There are certainly ways of doing this - see the kgdb documentation.
> Or you can work out the module load address, gdb the module and do the
> appropriate arithmetic I guess.
>
> Generally I just statically link anything which I want to play with.

Still, the oops is from a module. I could link it statically for debugging,
but then the address would be different to the one in the oops.

Anyway, please tell me if my reasoning was correct: I thought I couldn't
figure it out based on the absolute address, but I could use the
displacements. Namely, it followed from the oops that the problem
occured at the address {:ehci_hcd:ehci_irq+224}, which is at the
offset 224 wrt ehci_irq, so I did:

gdb drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.o

In gdb I did:

info line ehci_irq

and it told me the address the line started at, so I added 224 to it and
got the line 620.