Re: [SCSI] SCSI block devices larger then 2TB

From: David Lang
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 14:02:30 EST

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 11:21:09AM +0100, Michal Feix wrote:
Greetings!

Current aic79xxx driver doesn't see SCSI devices larger, then 2TB. It
fails with READ CAPACITY(16) command. As far as I can understand, we
already have LBD support in kernel for some time now. So it's only the

drivers, that need to be fixed? LSI driver is the only one I found
working with devices over 2TB; I couldn't test any other driver, as I
don't have the hardware. Is it really so bad, that only LSI chipset
and
maybe few others are capable of seeng such devices?

I definitly works fine with Qlogic parallel scsi and fibrechannel and
emulex
fibre channel controllers aswell as lsi/engenio megaraid controllers.

It looks like aci79xx is just broken in that repsect. Unfortunately the
driver doesn't have a proper maintainer, we scsi developers put in fixes
and cleanups but we don't have the full documentation to fix such
complicated
issue. If you have a support contract with Adaptec complain to them.

I was at a BOF at LISA last week on this subject, the guy running it said that the common ultra320 chip used for parallel scsi doesn't implment READ CAPACITY(16), but instead implemnets a propriatary READ CAPACITY(12) which allows you to break the 2TB limit.

I asked him to send the patch that he's been maintaining seperatly (and providing to his customers, he's a storage hardware vendor) to the list to get integrated.

I'll see if I have any notes with his address on them, or you could check the BOF schedule online to see if it got listed there.

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare