Re: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario

From: Ric Wheeler
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 12:55:12 EST

David S. Miller wrote:

From: Gerrit Huizenga <gh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 13:30:18 -0800

OSDL.org has no desire to advocate binary drivers in any way and I
don't expect that they will do anything to educate or influence their
members or the global vendor/IHV/developer communities to use binary
drivers. Further, I expect they will do exactly the opposite, in
particular, educate members, developers, IHV's on how to deploy
open source drivers and the benefits of doing so.

You might want to read the following before stating such
things:

http://www.kroah.com/log/2005/11/03/#osdl_gkai

Thanks.

Did you also read Greg's follow up posting:

http://www.kroah.com/log/2005/11/07#osdl_gkai2

where he says that he was wrong about OSDL pushing for binary drivers? (Not that the update was a glowing review of OSDL in general ;-))

I agree with Gerrit - from where I sit on OSDL's DCL tech forum, I have not seen any push for binary drivers and have seen consistent pressure pushing towards GPL'ed only drivers.

That position is strongly spelled out in the OSDL sponsored open drivers page as well.

Regards,

ric