Re: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 06:58:32 EST

Nix wrote:

On 8 Dec 2005, Helge Hafting said:

Lucky you. Mine doesn't. Using 3D on it makes the machine unstable,
and the performance is apalling too. So I'm looking for something
else - a radeon 7000 is cheap . . .

Backtraces? X version? X config?

6.8.2 from debian testing

(FWIW, my AGP Radeon 9250 works flawlessly as of X.org 6.8.99.901.
6.8.2 and earlier were wobbly.)

Time to try again then, I guess. Nice to know that something
is happening with the newer servers.

Whether performance is appalling I don't know because I don't have any
standards to measure it by, but I get 2000fps or thereabouts out of
glxgears. That's a hell of a lot better than the 64fps I got out of
my earlier mach64 :)

I have never seen glxgears go into the thousands. The card is
obviously not supposed to be like this - either card or driver is
faulty. Most people don't seem to have performance problems,
with their radeons, so perhaps my card is a bit different and
don't fit the driver.

Helge Hafting