Re: Linux 2.6.15-rc5: multiuser scheduling trouble

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 05:46:46 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

Helge,
did this start at any particular point in time?

Not that I know of, flash games became popular the last weeks.
I can try some older kernels though.

Also, the most common case is that somebody has reniced the X server, which is just _wrong_.

I wish it was that simple. But according to "top", the xservers runs
with NI=0. I believe I got rid of the X renicing at the time the scheduler
was improved. Nobody played flash games at the time though.

I have tried running two tuxracers too, and found this to be somewhat
bursty. Instead of the players enjoying half a cpu each (which
is bearable at sufficiently low resolution), they seem to get bursts of cpu
and short pauses. I never bothered looking more into this as the
pci card always hangs the machine after a while when doing 3D. Instead
I disabled DRI on that xserver. Stability is more important.

Helge Hafting