[ANNOUNCE] GIT 0.99.9m aka 1.0rc5

From: Junio C Hamano
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 21:33:34 EST

GIT 0.99.9m aka 1.0rc5 is found at usual places:

RPM
http://kernel.org:/pub/software/scm/git/RPMS/

Debian
http://kernel.org:/pub/software/scm/git/debian/

Notable changes since 1.0rc4 are:

- archimport updates.
- gitk updates to work around Tcl/Tk i18n issues.
- better portability to Solaris and AIX.
- slimmed down update-server-info.
- conflicting merge leaves higher stages in index around.
- http-fetch does not fail to write refs in subdirectories.
- git-prune cannot be made to lose referened objects by mistake anymore.
- a lot of documentation fixes.

We are now feature complete and I am hoping that I can push the
same out sometime in the coming week tagged as v1.0, after
giving it some time to shake out any possible last-minute bugs.

Right now, proposed updates branch has sample patches for the
usage string clean-up from Fredrik Kuivinen for people to
comment on; it is not a complete series yet and makes some tests
fail. I personally feel this series can and probably should
wait post 1.0.

-- >8 --

Alex Riesen:
use "git init-db" in tests

Daniel Barkalow:
Warn when send-pack does nothing
Clean up file descriptors when calling hooks.
Allow saving an object from a pipe

Eric Wong:
archimport: first, make sure it still compiles
archimport: remove String::ShellQuote dependency.
archimport: fix -t tmpdir switch
archimport: remove git wrapper dependency
archimport: add -D <depth> and -a switch
archimport: safer log file parsing
archimport: Add the accurate changeset applyer
archimport: Fix a bug I introduced in the new log parser
archimport: fix a in new changeset applyer addition

Jason Riedy:
Document config.mak in INSTALL.
Initial AIX portability fixes.
Use printf rather than echo -n.

Jon Loeliger:
Added documentation for few missing options.

Junio C Hamano:
compat/setenv: do not free what we fed putenv(3).
git.c: two fixes, gitsetenv type and off-by-one error.
show-branch: allow glob pattern to name branches to show.
Documentation: rebase does not use cherry-pick anymore.
struct tree: remove unused field "parent"
git.c: remove excess output for debugging when command is too long.
sha1_file.c: make sure packs in an alternate odb is named properly.
server-info.c: drop unused D lines.
server-info: stop sorting packs by latest date.
server-info: throw away T computation as well.
Documentation: talk about pathspec in bisect.
Documentation: git-mv manpage workaround.
Documentation: git-diff asciidoc table workaround.
Documentation: push/receive hook references.
Documentation: shared repository management in tutorial.
server-info.c: use pack_local like everybody else.
server-info.c: and two functions are not used anymore.
config.c: remove unnecessary header in minimum configuration file.
Clean up compatibility definitions.
Fix 5501 test
git-mv to work with Perl 5.6
hash-object: -- and --help
init-db: check extra arguments and complain.
write-tree: check extra arguments and die but be a bit more helpful.
Documentation: hash-object.
Documentaiton (read-tree): update description of 3-way
git-merge-one-file: resurrect leading path creation.
qsort() ptrdiff_t may be larger than int
checkout-index: allow checking out from higher stages.
git-merge-one: new merge world order.
update-index: allow --index-info to add higher stages.
Documentation: git.html/git.7
Documentation(glossary): minor formatting clean-ups.
Documentation(cvs-migration): minor cleanups.
Documentation(tutorial): adjust merge example to the new merge world order.
refs.c: make sure leading directories exist before writing a ref.
Make sure we use compat/subprocess.py with Python 2.3 while running tests.
Documentation: recursive is the default strategy these days.
show-branch: comment typo
Documentation: git-prune
qsort(): ptrdiff_t may be larger than int
git-prune: never lose objects reachable from our refs.
Use GIT_EXEC_PATH explicitly for initial git-init-db in tests.
Everyday GIT with 20 commands
Link Everyday GIT to main documentation tree.
t3300: funny name test
t0000: catch trivial pilot errors.
format-patch: use same number of digits in numbers
merge-recursive: leave unmerged entries in the index.
merge-recursive: cleanup setIndexStages
t/t6022: a new test for renaming merge.

Nikolai Weibull:
Document the --non-empty command-line option to git-pack-objects.
Fix the description of --utf8 and --keep to git-am.
Use uniform description for the '--' option.
Documentation/git-commit.txt: Add long options and -- to documentation.
Documentation/git-verify-pack.txt: added documentation for --.
Documentation/git-cvsimport.txt: Fix a slight glitch in description heading.
Documentation/git-cherry-pick: Add --replay and --no-commit.
Add documentation for git-revert and git-cherry-pick.
Add documentation for the --topo-order option to git-show-branch.
Documentation/git-format-patch.txt: Add --signoff, --check, and long option-names.
Documentation/git-ls-remote.txt: Add -h and -t.
Documentation/git-repack.txt: Add -l and -n.
Documentation/git-http-fetch.txt: Document the commit-id argument.
Documentation/git-update-server-info.txt: Add -f alias for --force to documentation.
Documentation/git-tag.txt: Fix the order of sections (DESCRIPTION should come before OPTIONS).
Documentation/git-read-tree.txt: Add --reset to SYNOPSIS.

Paul Mackerras:
gitk: Factored out some common code into a new start_rev_list procedure
gitk: Some improvements for the code for updating the display
gitk: Work around Tcl's non-standard names for encodings

Petr Baudis:
Update the git-ls-tree documentation
Document the --(no-)edit switch of git-revert and git-cherry-pick

Sven Verdoolaege:
gitk: add Update menu item.