Re: [patch -mm] fix SLOB on x64

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 15:05:30 EST

* Ed Tomlinson <edt@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sunday 11 December 2005 09:12, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > this patch fixes 32-bitness bugs in mm/slob.c. Successfully booted x64
> > with SLOB enabled. (i have switched the PREEMPT_RT feature to use the
> > SLOB allocator exclusively, so it must work on all platforms)
>
> Its a good idea to get this working everywhere. Why have you switched
> to use SLOB exclusively?

because the SLAB hacks were getting ugly, and i gave up on it during the
2.6.15-rc5 merge. (The SLAB code has lots of irqs-off / per-cpu and
non-preempt assumptions integrated, which were a pain to sort out.)

We'll eventually do a cleaner conversion of SLAB to PREEMPT_RT, but for
now the SLOB is turned on exclusively if PREEMPT_RT. (in other
preemption modes it's optionally selectable if EMBEDDED is enabled)

Ingo