Re: GNU/Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario

From: Florian Weimer
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 11:39:58 EST

* Erwin Rol:

> - Erwin (who is Dutch and finds this story highly unlikely, unless there
> is another Amsterdam in Asia somewhere).

IP enforcements varies quite a lot across Europe. I'm being told that
in the UK, the DVD situation is as worse as in some Asian countries
(i.e. you can buy illegal copies of current movies on flea markets).
I'm not aware of such a level of open unlicensed for-profit copying in
Germany (beyond the OEM debate). We have a long history of test
buyers at flea markets, and our culture is generally know for its
tendency to denounce. 8-)

The things we have is (a) professional software counterfeiting, (b)
small-scale movie swapping in firmly established rings for no
commercial gain (c) unlicensed movie distribution at professional
scale, and (d) P2P swapping. (a) and (d) are world-wide problems, and
(b) and (c) do not happen openly.