Re: ipw2200 [was Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel]

From: Rob Landley
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 04:17:12 EST

On Sunday 11 December 2005 02:37, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On So 10-12-05 23:30:30, Rob Landley wrote:

> > > Well, building modular kernel for a test is not *that* much work.
> > > Anyway, if you are going to fix it, fix it properly (by
> > > delayed firmware loading) -- initrd hacks are good for you
> > > but unusable for anyone else.
> >
> > I don't see why that's any less usable than using udev from initramfs to
> > find your root partition.
>
> Why use udev from initramfs?

I don't, but I do use a script that mknods the real root's node based on
running "find" against /sys to locacate the appropriate device name and then
finding the major/minor numbers there.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with ipw2200. It just means I'm not using
the in-kernel root-finder code.

> Just teach ipw2200 to load firmware late.

That's now how I'd fix this. If you want to fix it this way, be my guest.

> Don't load firmware when ipw2200 is initialized, load it only
> when someone attempts to talk to your ipw2200. At that time, you
> should have userland already.

Or I could move initramfs extraction earlier in the boot sequence and never
have to modify any _other_ drivers that want firmware in order to be able to
make them work too, rather than playing whack-a-mole teaching drivers I don't
care about how to hold off on wanting firmware.

> Pavel

Rob
--
Steve Ballmer: Innovation! Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word.