Re: [RFC] ip / ifconfig redesign

From: Bernd Eckenfels
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 00:10:40 EST

In article <200512022253.19029.a1426z@xxxxxxxxx> you wrote:
> The current ip / ifconfig configuration is arcane and inflexible. The reason
> being, that they are based on design principles inherited from the last
> century.

Yes I agree, however note that some of the asumptions are backed up and
required by RFCs. For example the binding of addresses to interfaces. This
is especially strongly required in the IPV6 world with all the scoping and
renumbering RFCs.

The things you want to change need to be changed in kernel space, btw.

Gruss
Bernd
ifconfig maintainer