Re: wrong number of serial port detected

From: Russell King
Date: Sat Dec 10 2005 - 05:39:39 EST

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 12:54:44PM -0700, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> On Friday 09 December 2005 7:37 am, Jason Dravet wrote:
> > The question I have
> > is with all of this plug and play stuff in our PCs shouldn't it be possible
> > to get the correct number of ports, ask the bios or the pci bus or
> > something?
>
> Yes. ACPI (or even PNPBIOS) should tell us about all the "legacy"
> ports, and PCI or other bus enumeration should tell us about all the
> rest.

Unless I stick a serial card into an industrial PC. And yes, ISA
serial cards are still sold:

http://www.amplicon.co.uk/dr-prod3.cfm/groupId/10740/secid/10177.htm

ISA serial cards will not show up in ACPI, PNPBIOS or any other bus
enumeration scheme. The only way to use them is via setserial.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core