Re: wrong number of serial port detected

From: Russell King
Date: Fri Dec 09 2005 - 12:26:42 EST

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 08:37:01AM -0600, Jason Dravet wrote:
> The /etc/inittab file is where I got the number 7 from (6 tty plus 1
> Xwindows). I have to change the inittab everytime I install FC since they
> switched to graphical boot (FC does not like my monitor). Let me see if I
> got this right: Is the reason 64 tty devices exist similiar to the reason
> you gave me about the 32 serial ports?

I guess so - I don't look after the virtual console stuff.

> You create all the nodes so they
> can be used at anytime. If there were only the 6 tty nodes created then if
> you want to direct your logger to tty12, you would first have to create
> that node and then tty12 could be used. If this is true how are the other
> 52 tty devices accessed? I don't have a F13 or F44 keys on my keyboard.

There is a key combination, but it's dependent on the keymap.
dumpkeys -f and search for "Console_" - it's in keymap 2 (but
I don't know what activates keymap 2.)

> I like the idea of the patch that Dave Jones created. The question I have
> is with all of this plug and play stuff in our PCs shouldn't it be possible
> to get the correct number of ports, ask the bios or the pci bus or
> something?

If you're considering only legacy free systems, yes you are probably
right.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core