Re: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario

From: Bernd Petrovitsch
Date: Fri Dec 09 2005 - 04:53:18 EST

On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 09:49 +0000, Felix Oxley wrote:
[...]
> Two advantages to a certified logo program:
[...]
> 2. To enable PC manufactures to badge their entire systems (e.g. a
> Dell with a Linux Compatible sticker on the box).

Actually it would probably some pressure on Dell to actually admit the
(some) Linux runs on their hardware. In the marketing folders, they
recommend software from the evil empire.
And I saw last week an add from Lenovo where they also recommend the
monopoly software. This raises - at least for me - the question how
serious IBM was and is with their support and commitment Linux ....

> The long term objective being to put those manufacturers who don't
> supply open source drivers at a disadvantage.

Bernd
--
Firmix Software GmbH http://www.firmix.at/
mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55