Re: [RFC/RFT] suspend from userland

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 18:03:38 EST

Hi!

> > I'd like to get some testing and comments on this. I know that
> > userland part is messy and will not work on x86-64 etc, and I should
> > obviously remove some extra printk's... but otherwise it should be okay.
> >
> > Testing would be nice, too, but be a bit careful. It should not be
> > more dangerous than /sys/power/resume, but... If you suspect something
> > unusual, be sure to force fsck.
>
> Could we please postpone it for some time?

Well, it is probably not going into -mm before your changes are in
mainline. That means 2.6.17 earliest.

> First, the patch doesn't apply to the current -mm and the userland part is
> incompatible with the code there to the extent of a serious breakage
> (let alone the x86-64 issue).

Of course I'm going to fix up breakage before the merge. At least all
the kernel parts and enough userland to test that it still works.

> Second, if I had some time to get my solution ready, we could compare the
> alternatives instead of just discussing one of them.

Well, I'm trying to gently push you. I'd like to get some solution in
1-2 months timeframe, so that work on userland parts can start.
Pavel
--
Thanks, Sharp!