Re: AW: Re: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario

From: Lee Revell
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 15:25:26 EST

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 15:13 -0500, Dave Neuer wrote:
> On 12/8/05, Lee Revell <rlrevell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 16:49 +0100, dirk@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > Yes, i can see the problem.
> > > How about interconnecting it with the bugtracker?
> > > If there is a bug, and if it is related to some hardware, it is logged
> > > in the database as broken for that kernel version. If the bug is
> > > fixed, support status is ok again.
> > > All that needs to be done is entering the device once into the
> > > database, status is broken by default, and take it from there?
> > > Then it gets some goals (similar to bugs) assigned if it is a complex
> > > device. i.e. for a graphic device:
> > > * 2d graphic support
> > > * 3d graphic support
> > > * framebuffer
> > > * vesa
> >
> > If we followed your scheme 95% of supported hardware would be listed as
> > broken.
> >
> > Lee
>
> Well, let's start proposing solutions that will work then.

I like the idea of a centralized database, split up by subsystem, that's
maintained by the developers in a similar way to the ALSA soundcard
matrix. If a user finds an inaccuracy in the soundcard matrix or
discovers a new hardware model that works they submit a bug report
against the soundcard matrix, ideally containing a patch against the
XML.

It HAS to live alongside the code in the same version control system as
the code itself so it won't drift.

Lee