RE: RFC: ACPI/scsi/libata integration and hotswap

From: Salyzyn, Mark
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 08:56:40 EST

Christoph Hellwig writes:
> Why oh why do our chipset friends at intel have to fuck up
> everything they can? I wish they'd learn a lesson or two from their
cpu collegues.

The patch doesn't look like too much of a hack, pretty clean
implementation in support of a hot-swap of an adapter using ACPI hooks.
It is not specific to x86 platforms. I'd prefer that it looked more like
a suspend/resume interface rather than a raw ACPI event.

There needs to be a power management interface to SCSI and to the LLD's
in support of hot-swap of PCI attached devices. Otherwise you are asking
for the driver to be blindsided on any platform that supports this
necessary service feature.

Sincerely -- Mark Salyzyn