Re: stat64 for over 2TB file returned invalid st_blocks

From: Takashi Sato
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 06:38:24 EST

Hi,

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 10:34 -0500, Trond Myklebust wrote:
If you really want a variable size type here, then the right thing to do
is to define a __kernel_blkcnt_t or some such thing, and hide the
configuration knob for it somewhere in the arch-specific Kconfigs.

Takashi's patch does improve on what currently exists. Maybe someone
can create a separate patch to replace sector_t with blkcnt_t where it
makes sense.

I prefer sector_t for i_blocks rather than newly defined blkcnt_t.
The reasons are:

- Both i_blocks and common sector_t are for on-disk 512-byte unit.
In this point of view, they have the same character.

- If we created the type blkcnt_t newly, the patch would have to
touch a lot of files as follows, like sector_t does.
block/Kconfig, asm-i386/types.h, asm-x86_64/types.h,
asm-ppc/types.h, asm-s390/types.h, asm-sh/types.h,
asm-h8300/types.h, asm-mips/types.h
It will be simple if we use sector_t for i_blocks.

Also, I cannot imagine the situation that > 2TB files are used over
network with CONFIG_LBD disabled kernel. Is there such a thing
realistically?

-- Takashi Sato