Re: Linux Hardware Quality Labs (was: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario)

From: Felix Oxley
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 05:27:41 EST

On 8 Dec 2005, at 07:43, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

I think the current focus on the logo idea is pretty sad. The only real
"feature" a logo adds is it will have to be maintained by Someone Else.
Which is always nice. Except when the real info is in the kernel
maintainers heads, as is the real love of free software, being
maintained by Someone Else means it'll fail.

A good exhaustive online centralised hardware database, blessed and
maintained by kernel people, will have influence with or without a logo.

The benefits of a 'paper' logo are as follows:

1. It builds 'brand' awareness
2. It means that when you take a piece of hardware of the shelf in the store you don't need to check an online database for compatibility.

their faith in a paper logo. Which is pretty ridiculous. Give users a
good database and they won't need the paper thingy (not to mention
drivers are completed after hardware ships, so all the already- packaged
hardware won't get a linux logo by magic)

I presume that drivers will be developed alongside the hardware because you can't sell the kit until the drivers are on the CD in the nice box with the instruction manual.
Also you can't test the hardware properly unless you have drivers for it.

regards,
Felix