Re: [patch 00/21] hrtimer - High-resolution timer subsystem

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 03:11:39 EST

* Paul Jackson <pj@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> So just take all descriptions of other persons, and flip them around,
> pretending to describe yourself. It will be a bold faced lie, and
> totally illogical ... but that's typical in the realm of human
> emotions. The human species is definitely one dorked up bunch.

> "sorry for being such a stupid git, but ...".

it does not matter that it's a bold faced lie, people technically 'lie'
about little things all the time and for a good reason - the human
species (especially males) are way to agressive by default, so a certain
conscious buffer zone is needed to even that out. (It is in fact a
medical condition if that buffer-zone does not exist.)

But there's a crutial difference. A statement from Linus (or you) like
the one above also shows three more things that are important:

1) that you have a sense of humor, and that you dont take things too
seriously :) Humor goes a long way defusing differences.

2) that you actually entertain the possibility of being wrong and that
you do not just want to steamroll the other side with your opinion.

3) that you actually care about the other person. This matters alot.
There's a reason why hundreds of people who never met each other join
on a mailing list and write code, and the reason is definitely not to
have others piss on their code.

> Thanks, by the way, for your help back then on cpuset locking. It was
> invaluable.

i took some time and re-read your thread with Roman about cpusets back
in September. It was like fresh air! Roman was totally reasonable and
positive in that thread - so i dont think it's me or Thomas misreading
his style in this case or something.

anyway, the reason i confronted Roman with the situation was in the
renewed hope to improve direct communication. I'm still hopeful :)

Ingo