Re: 2.6.15-rc4 panic in __nr_to_section() with CONFIG_SPARSEMEM

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 17:52:12 EST

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 14:37 -0800, Badari Pulavarty wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> I getting a panic while doing "cat /proc/<pid>/smaps" on
> a process. I debugged a little to find out that faulting
> IP is in _nr_to_section() - seems to be getting somehow
> called by pte_offset_map_lock() from smaps_pte_range
> (which show_smaps) calls.
>
> Any ideas on why or how to debug further ?

You're sure it's inside of the pte_offset_map_lock()?

It's probably this call chain:

pte_offset_map_lock()
pte_offset_map()
pmd_page()
pfn_to_page()
__pfn_to_section()
__nr_to_section()

I'd probably take a hard look at the PMD first to make sure it looks
good. Then, maybe go through some of the conversions in
pte_offset_map_lock() from that chain and print out each step inside of
smaps_pte_range(). Can you trigger it easily?

-- Dave