Re: another nfs puzzle

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 11:09:33 EST

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 10:56 -0500, Peter Staubach wrote:

> I do know of other operating systems which do implement the semantics that I
> have suggested and I don't think that they are concerned or have been
> notified
> that these semantics for a problem. These semantics are used because the
> kernel itself can not even guarantee that the data that it is caching is
> valid,
> without lots of synchronization which may tend to reduce performance.

I agree. It is clearly going to be a drag on performance, but it should
be very much a corner case, so...

To tell you the truth, I'm more interested in this case in order to
figure out how to make mmap() work correctly for the case of an ordinary
file, but where the file changes on the server. Currently we just call
invalidate_inode_pages2(), without unmapping first. The conclusion from
Kenny's testcase appears to be that this may lead to mmapped dirty data
being lost.

Cheers,
Trond