Re: [patch 00/43] ktimer reworked

From: Roman Zippel
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 07:35:21 EST

Hi,

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, James Bruce wrote:

> > Guys, before you continue spreading nonsense, please read carefully Ingos
> > description of the timer wheel at http://lwn.net/Articles/156329/ .
> > Let me also refine the statement I made in this mail: the _focus_ on
> > delivery is complete nonsense.
>
> Must you start every email with inflammatory rhetoric? If you want to know
> why you find it difficult to get people to see things your way, the key is in
> the above paragraph. In everyday life you don't insult a person on the street
> and then ask them for directions.

You analogy is wrong: Thomas and Ingo spread flyer for "free food", above
is my frustration about all the people wanting free food.

> And that's the whole *point* about how we got here. Let the low resolution,
> low lifetime timeouts stay on the timer wheel, and make a new approach that
> specializes in handling longer lifetime, higher resolution timers. That's
> ktimers in a nutshell. You seem to be arguing for it rather than against it.

I do, just without the focus on the lifetime, which is really unimportant
for most kernel developers.

> You've brought up the fact that networking shouldn't use lots of timers
> several times in the overall discussion. If you know how to do this, I'm sure
> you can start sending patches to netdev and show them all how stupid they've
> been all along. However, more likely you'll just find out that just maybe the
> networking people really *have* thought about the problem, and the solution
> they came up with is actually a pretty good one.
>
> At any rate, while you fix up all those "timer-abusing" subsystems throughout
> the kernel, can we just try to improve the timer system in the meantime?

James, after giving me a rhetoric lesson you maybe should be a bit more
careful with your own rhetoric. What kind of answer do you expect after
insulting me?

The short version is that I didn't bring up the network timer problem, I
only made a suggestions how it could be solved, but nobody followed me up
on it, so I guess the problem wasn't really that big. Please check the
archives for details.

bye, Roman