Re: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario

From: Bernd Petrovitsch
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 18:25:34 EST

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 15:29 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
[...]
> Indeed, anything newer than a G550 is binary only as far as 3D is concerned.
> Sad, as Matrox used to be a really good recommendation for an
> opensource friendly graphic card vendor.
>
> It's not as if their newer cards are even that fast, so my only
> guess is that they've gone the binary blob route purely for
> paranoia reasons.

Yes, the "software as such patent" and/or "trivial patent" disease
spreaded the last decades - not only in USPTO-land (and identically in
JPO-land) but also basically illegally in EPO-land.
And it is probably much simpler to "prove" (in the law sense, not
technically/mathematically) a patent infringement if you have C source
of the driver instead of some undocumented blob of object code.

Bernd
--
Firmix Software GmbH http://www.firmix.at/
mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55