Re: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 16:34:08 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
On Maw, 2005-12-06 at 18:42 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:

There's some work on reverse-engineering the BIOS so that you can
hackishly poke 'new' modes into its tables, but it's still not a very
good option.

Especially as the BIOS interface at the low level for the analogue end
and the logic driving it is board specific. Intel have been fairly clear
why they use the BIOS interface.

[utter, complete, abrupt tangent]

Since people are talking about BIOS, that made me remember that I wanted to mention something of minor significance:

Marvell GPL'd their storage BIOS that ships with their 50xx and 60xx cards. x86 code, not OF.

FWIW.

Now you may return to your regularly scheduled flamewar...

Jeff