Re: Broadcom 43xx first results

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 14:04:48 EST

Harald Welte wrote:
I also think that there is a lack of knowledge on the architecture of
802.11 low-level protocols and drivers among many people (including
myself) in the network community. Only this way I can explain why there
are always people who claim that the kernel already has a 802.11
'stack'.

This last sentence, regardless of the source, is simply playing with words.

We have 802.11 common code in the kernel, that several drivers are using. Future drivers should modify that common code to suit their needs, rather than dropping it and starting from scratch.

Jeff