Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel

From: Michael Frank
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 12:07:49 EST

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 01:54, Horst von Brand wrote:
> Michael Frank <mhf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > As to security, most vulnerabilities are hard to
> > exploit remotely
>
> Right.
>
> > and practical security can be much more
> > improved by hiding detailed software versions from
> > clients.
>
> Ever heard of nmap <http://www.nmap.org>?

I wrote my original post with nmap in mind.

I use nmap all the time, it is a excellent tool. At times I
used nmap to scan those IP's who scan my IP and have
unleashed at times a barrage of counter-scans to the point
of bringing my connection pretty much down. Some of those
scanners must have big pipes.

> Or perhaps
> noticed all kinds of attacks against Linux using old
> exploits or Windows specific ones?

100s to 1000s of unsolicited packets mainly to windows
specific service ports day and also several burst attacks a
day. These days I just leave the firewall logging off in
order to play less with nmap ;)

> Hiding versions is
> /not/ secure. At most marginally so,

Sorry, do not concur. Unlike windows and such, linux is a
_fast_ moving target. The best bet to crack it a _inside_
job by a trusted perpetrator (for example the debian case
or the corruption of the kernels bk derived cvs repo ),
which still ring bells... Remote exploitation of the odd
random vulnerability in the absence of detailed version
info is as likely as winning a jackpot.

> and the pain for
> whoever needs the version for legitimate reasons just
> isn't worth it.

Oh well, If I have a legitimate requirement for the detailed
versions someone is running, I can ask.

Again, most violations are made possible by:

a) access to hardware or admin/root passwords (what was the
kernel.org case tracked to?)

b) access to version info and utilizing a exploit short
term (the debian case)

IMHO, to have good security, 1) use open source and 2)
sound implementation of common sense security procedures
beginning with the basic doctrine who does not have to know
won't know. Yes, some things seem never to change :-(

> > Apache 2 on linux 2.6 will do instead of providing full
> > vendor specific package versions!
> >
> > As to drivers, in case 3 month driver delay matters, HW
> > vendor can improve situation substantially by not
> > waiting 6+ months before (if at all) releasing
> > drivers/docs for linux!
>
> For /server/ type workloads, where you /need/ stability,
> you carefully pick the hardware and then run a selected
> "enterprise" distro on it. The distro people do the hard
> work of keeping your kernel up to date and secure. And
> even worry about a smooth upgrade to the next version.
> For a price, sure. But either you really need it (and
> gladly pay the price)

sure

> or you don't (in which case you
> have nothing to complain about).

kernel.org kernels and gentoo linux will do for me.

Thank you
Michael