Re: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 10:16:00 EST

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 08:43:03PM -0500, Brian Gerst wrote:
> Once again I'd like to point out that user's purchase power means jack
> when they only have two choices for video: ATI and Nvidia. You can't
> walk into a computer store and find anything else (I don't count

The single fact you looked to see if there was something else is a very
good thing. As wrote in the other email, with their binary only drivers
those companies are increasing their risk of introducing more
competition into the 3d space, they open up a niche. I know I wouldn't
take this risk if I was in them.