Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel

From: Rob Landley
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 00:49:01 EST

On Monday 05 December 2005 21:32, Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 09:19:28PM -0600, Rob Landley wrote:
> > > /sbin/hotplug is suboptimal. Even a pretty fast machine is slowed down
> > > pretty significantly by the ~thousand fork and exec that take place
> > > during startup.
> >
> > Why do you need hotplug events on startup? Can't you just scan /sys for
> > "dev" entries do the initial populate of /dev from that?
>
> That's my point: I don't. Yet the kernel tries to exec /sbin/hotplug on
> startup around 1000 times.
>
> -ben

At what stage? If it's initramfs, then don't have one on initramfs. (Not by
default anyway, add a symlink when you're ready to start caring, or write the
correct path to /proc/sys/heeeeeeere's_hotplog.)

Failure to exec 1000 times shouldn't take too long. I have shell scripts that
fork and exec 1000 times in under a second, and they're actually doing
something.

Rob
--
Steve Ballmer: Innovation! Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word.