Re: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario

From: Brian Gerst
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 23:22:25 EST

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 09:31:30AM -0500, Brian Gerst wrote:
The problem with this statement is that Linux users are a drop in the bucket of sales for this hardware. Boycotting doesn't cost the vendors enough to make them care. And this does nothing for people who are converting over to Linux, and didn't buy hardware with that consideration in mind.

Effectively this is why 3d drivers are the only thing we litearlly lost
control of. But my email was general. I wasn't only speaking of 3d
hardware.

For 3d you're very well right, but once linux becomes mainstream in the
desktop, things could change.

Also note, I've some 3d on my laptop but I need no binary only drivers
for it, so there's some option.

Intel? That's all nice and dandy if and only if you have an Intel CPU. Not an option for AMD users, for obvious reasons.

--
Brian Gerst