Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel

From: Horst von Brand
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 21:23:51 EST

Bernd Petrovitsch <bernd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [ Minimized quoted part ]
> On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 17:43 -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> > Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
> > >On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 17:52 -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> [...]
> > > ^^^^

> > >But this not even holds for nearly all apps.

> > >The same holds (probably) for Linux apps (given that your kernel can
> > >start a.out). And AFAIBT by Win* driver developers even in the Win*
> > >world you have to change your driver because of a new Win* version now
> > >and then.
> [...]
> > whole libc -> glib switchover.

> glib has AFAIK next to nothing to do with a libc AFAICT (i.e. it is
> using standard libc functions but that's all).

He refers to the a.out to ELF switchover. Yes, it was painful. But not as
much as he makes out. The Win98 --> WinNT change was worse, IMHO.

> > It's hilarious that BSD had to create a Linux app compat lib,

And Solaris forever had a BSD compatibility suite, including libraries and
tools. So what?

> > and the
> > RedHat shipped compat libs for 3 releases

So legacy stuff continued working. And that is bad how?

> Here you have your backwards compatibility.

Right.

> > as well. Not even close. Windows has won. M$ has won. Linux lost
> > the desktop wars

First of all, Linux isn't about "winning a war". And the desktop wars
haven't really started...

> > and will soon loose the server wars as well.

Sorry, but that one is almost over, and Linux has won.

> > The
> > reason - infighting and lack of backwards

> Yes, probably - MSFT is spreading the same story since ages.

Gandhi-con 3 ;-)

> > compatibility. Binary only
> > module breakage kernel to kernel will continue.

So what? Binary modules are mostly bad and break the kernel, so...

> As other told there never was a stable kernel module interface. Of
> course there is probably enough willing manpower out there who will work
> on that once you pay them. Or you can provide such support on your own.

Right.

> Or do you (or anybody else) has drivers which should be maintained for
> vanilla-kernel and/or vendor kernels and/or other kernels (to fix the
> breakage in a cosntructive way), we can provide you with an offer to do
> that.

Constructive criticism? Even of the sort that contributes something? What
are you thinking about?!