Re: swsusp performance problems in 2.6.15-rc3-mm1

From: Andy Isaacson
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 20:46:41 EST

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 02:37:59AM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > desktop here at work, for example, writes the image at 72MB/s and reads
> > it back at 116MB/s. (3GHz P4 with a Maxtor 6Y120L0). Writing 1GB at
> > these rates is not a problem.

Hmm, I only wish...

> Andy reported 20MB/sec on hdparm. I do not think it is possible to
> write faster than that. And that seems about ok for notebooks, X32
> (pretty new) has:
>
> root@amd:~# hdparm -t /dev/hda

You named your X32 "amd"? How ... confusing ... (assuming it, like all
other Thinkpad X series I know, has a Pentium M.)

> /dev/hda:
> Timing buffered disk reads: 108 MB in 3.01 seconds = 35.85 MB/sec

That's quite a bit better than mine, and I am pretty sure I am the same
vintage or newer (purchased this summer), but I'm getting barely half
that speed:
Timing buffered disk reads: 58 MB in 3.10 seconds = 18.70 MB/sec

How can I find out what disk is in this beast and try to track down some
of my missing performance? It looks like I have the right DMA settings
and whatnot looking at hdparm(1).

-andy