Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 18:10:07 EST

David Ranson wrote:
Adrian Bunk wrote:

- support for ipfwadm and ipchains was removed during 2.6

Surely this one had loads of notice though? I was using iptables with
2.4 kernels.

- devfs support was removed during 2.6

Did this affect many 'real' users?

- removal of kernel support for pcmcia-cs is pending
- ip{,6}_queue removal is pending
- removal of the RAW driver is pending

I don't use any of these. I guess pcmcia-cs may be disruptive for laptop
users.

You don't seem to grasp that thousands of people DO use these features, and by removing the features those users are blocked from security, reliability, and performance related changes. And there are a number of other features mentioned

So far I don't see evidence to suggest huge repeated userspace breakages
between Kernel versions that were implied earlier in this thread.
Whatever, we aren't going to see any more stable branches without
volunteers to do the spadework. As has been pointed out, this won't
always be an easy task.

To a large extent I don't think it's a needed task. If new stuff doesn't work that doesn't hurt established uses, it's only when changes like the PCI rethink go in that existing users are impacted. As long as things aren't taken OUT, the current kernel is usefully stable.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)