Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 18:02:50 EST

Ben Collins wrote:

What you're suggesting sounds just like going back to the old style of
development where 2.<even>.x is stable, and 2.<odd>.x is development.
You might as well just suggest that after 2.6.16, we fork to 2.7.0, and
2.6.17+ will be stable increments like we always used to do.

I'll let him speak to what he intended, but my idea of stable is to keep the features of 2.6.0 in 2.6.N for any value of N. Adding new stuff rapidly hasn't been nearly the problem people feared, but that's largely due to the efforts of akpm to act as throttle, and somehow get more people to try his versions and knock the corners off the new code before it goes mainline.

I do think the old model was better; by holding down major changes for six months or so after a new even release came out, people had a chance to polich the stable release, and developers had time to recharge their batteries so to speak, and to sit and think about what they wanted to do, without feeling the pressure to write code and submit it right away. Knowing that there's no place to send code for six months is a great aid to generating GOOD code.

The other advantage of a development tree was that features could be added and removed without the argument that it would break this or that. It was development, no one was supposed to use it for production, no one could claim that there was even an implied promise of things working or even existing. ipchains could have gone out of 2.6 with no more fuss than xiafs departing. The people who really want it stay with the old kernel.

To a large extent -mm has become the development kernel, and as neat as that is, a development model which depends on a small number of dedicated and talented people to make it work is fragile.

Just my thoughts, I think we had it right before, I think it's less inherently stable now.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)