Re: Two module-init-

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 16:46:38 EST

On 12/4/05, Rusty Russell <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 23:28 -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > > >

> > > Please take a look at drivers/input/keyboard/corgikbd.c
> > >

> > What I meant we do use EV_SW in the drivers and so it sould be part
> > of input_device_id. Nobody uses ffbit or sndbit either and still
> > they are present...
>
> Sure. BUT it will break current users. I'm suggesting we jerk that
> field out for 2.6.15, and reintroduce it for >= 2.6.16, when we can (1)
> ensure everyone has a fixed module-init tools, or (2) make sure everyone
> is using the module alias stuff, or both.
>
> It seems the simplest solution, surely?

Is there real users that are broken? It looks like most distros either
have mousedev and evdev compiled in or load them unconditionally. So
the simpliest is just probably get MODALIAS stuff in 2.6.16 and that's
it. It's not like swbit is new in 2.6.15, it was there since 2.6.14
was opened.

--
Dmitry