Re: Broadcom 43xx first results

From: Jiri Benc
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 14:18:08 EST

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 14:08:28 -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Patently false.
>
> ieee80211 is used by Intel. Some bits used by HostAP, which also
> duplicates a lot of ieee80211 code. And bcm43xx. And another couple
> drivers found in -mm or out-of-tree.

Hostap uses only encryption code, which was copied from - guess who -
hostap. Everything other must be done by the hostap driver itself.

bcm43xx can use - like every other driver - only constants and defines
from ieee80211.h. This is the reason why they are trying to implement
"softmac" on top of it. But that work was already done by Jouni.

> > of a wifi driver tries to implement his own "softmac" now. I cannot see
> > how this can move as forward and I think we can agree this is not the
> > way to go.
>
> You're agreeing with only yourself, then?

I meant that every driver tries to implements its own "softmac". This is
not the way to go, right?

> > Rewriting (or, if you like, enhancing) the current 802.11 code seems to
> > be wasting of time now, when nearly complete Linux stack was opensourced
> > by Devicescape. We can try to merge it, but I'm not convinced it is
> > possible, the Devicescape's stack is far more advanced.
>
> This invalid logic is why we have a ton of wireless stacks, all
> duplicating each other.

Heh? We have one nearly finished stack (and no, it's not the one in
kernel). Why should we try to implement a new stack instead of fixing
some issues of the nearly finished one?

--
Jiri Benc
SUSE Labs