Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 13:44:02 EST

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 09:31:12PM -0600, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Saturday 03 December 2005 11:53, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> > > Ahh OK .. I don't use it, so wouldn't have been affected. That's one
> > > userspace interface broken during the series, does anyone have any more?
> >
> > - support for ipfwadm and ipchains was removed during 2.6
> > - devfs support was removed during 2.6
> > - removal of kernel support for pcmcia-cs is pending
> > - ip{,6}_queue removal is pending
> > - removal of the RAW driver is pending
>
> So what you're upset about is the feature removal scheduling mechanism, which
> usually gives a full year's warning, and the removal patch can be reversed
> into a feature addition patch you can maintain outside the tree if you really
> care?

I'm not upset about is the feature removal scheduling mechanism.

Please check who has most entries in
Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt ...

The removal of features within the 2.6 series is an essential part of
the current development model.

The problem is the lack of a long-living relatively stable series within
the development model.

> Rob

cu
Adrian