Re: [Bcm43xx-dev] Broadcom 43xx first results

From: Michael Buesch
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 09:28:22 EST

On Monday 05 December 2005 15:19, you wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 12:08:16PM +0100, Michael Buesch wrote:
>
> > The SoftMAC is a separate module. That is _good_, so devices like
> > the ipw do not have to load the code, because they do not need it.
> > The SoftMAC ties (and integrates) very close to the ieee80211 subsystem.
>
> I like the modular design..
>
> > You see that SoftMAC is not exactly a part or the ieee80211 subsystem,
> > but it uses its interface to TX a frame (and the struct to get
> > some information about the device).
>
> .. but I disagree with this. If there is functionality like generating
> management frames, it is very much part of the ieee80211 subsystem in my
> opinion.

Think of SoftMAC as an extension to ieee80211.

> > This all works fine. There is absolutely no need to bloat the
> > ieee80211 layer with functionality, which is not needed by all devices.
>
> I'm afraid of this leading to duplicated work since ieee80211 stack is
> being used without this new SoftMAC code for devices that do need host
> CPU to take care of functionality that is currently in SoftMAC module
> and will be added to ieee80211 subsystem.

Well, I do not care for drivers ignoring SoftMAC and duplicating
the work. The question is: Why don't these drivers use SoftMAC?
(Yeah, because it is incomplete, is the answer. :D I am talking
about future.)
What is so hard about a driver including ieee80211.h _and_
ieee80211softmac.h, if it requires Software MAC? And what
exactly is duplicated work here? SoftMAC does _not_ duplicate;
it extends.

--
Greetings Michael.