Re: [Bcm43xx-dev] Broadcom 43xx first results

From: Michael Buesch
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 14:58:14 EST

On Sunday 04 December 2005 20:52, you wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 19:50:08 +0100 (CET)
> mbuesch@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > I am writing this mail on my PowerBook and it is sent
> > wireless to my AP.
> > That means, we can transmit real data, if you did not get it, yet. :)
>
> Amazing progress :)
>
> > That does _not_ mean, that it completely works, yet.
> > The team is in the progress of writing a SoftwareMAC layer,
> > which is needed for the bcm device. The SoftMAC is still very
> > incomplete. So do not expect to do any fancy stuff like WPA
> > or something line that with it.
> > Please be patient, thanks. :)
>
> Why not use the new in-kernel wifi stack?

We do. The SoftMAC is an extension to it.
SoftMAC = Software Medium Access Control. It is about sending
and receiving management frames.
Some chips do this in hardware, so it is not part of the ieee80211 stack.
(the ipw2x00 do it in hardware, for example.)

PS: Sorry for the spam on the bottom of the previous mail. I had
to send it with the web-interface.

--
Greetings Michael.