Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel

From: Indrek Kruusa
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 10:27:07 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

nt model (or at least they have no resources to do testing [Torvalds])
c) end-users (or those who are not kernel maintainers) are directed permanently to distros kernels and "stay away from kernel.org you wanna-bees!

this is not what is being said. What is being said is that if you can't
deal with occasional breakage, you're better off using vendor kernels.
But.. if you can't deal with occasional breakage, you wouldn't test test
kernels EITHER. If you can deal with an occasional breakage, I hope you
and everyone else who can, will run and test kernel.org kernels,
especially the -rc ones.

Most of the "instability" people complain about with the new 2.6 model
is caused by people not testing the -rc kernels before they are
released, so that they end up being released with regressions.

I think I have seen special live-cd distribution for KDE beta testers. Kernel is not a KDE but such a very broken distribution with -rc kernel could be more easily maintained than "udev forever!". Live-cd (or live-usb) wouldn't be too flexible - you can't say there "can you give a whirl to this patch, please" but I bet you will have more testers.

thanks,
Indrek