Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel

From: Greg KH
Date: Sat Dec 03 2005 - 16:53:58 EST

On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 10:31:03PM +0100, M. wrote:
> makes sense, but are you sure having distros like Debian, enterprise
> products from redhat etc using the same 6months release for their
> stable versions does not translate in minor fragmentation on kernel
> development and in benefits for every user?

It hasn't so far from my viewpoint. Do you think it has?

> Under this light i think a 6months cycle starts to mean something when
> stable distros gets older and older (debian and redhat enterprise are
> released every 18/24 months) and developers and who wants bleeding
> edge features can always use Fedora, openSUSE, Gentoo etc. Another
> advantage would be to benefit external projects and hardware producers
> writing open drivers, enlowering the effort in writing and mantaining
> a driver.

Drivers belong in the main kernel.org kernel tree. See
Documentation/stable-api-nonsense.txt for why this is so, and
Documentation/HOWTO for how to get this accomplished. It is explained
in great detail there. If you have further questions about this, please
let us know.

thanks,

greg k-h