Re: SATA ICH6M problems on Sharp M4000

From: Sergei Organov
Date: Fri Dec 02 2005 - 14:33:30 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Josh Litherland wrote:
> > Trying to get this laptop operational; it has SATA for the hard disc and
> > PATA for the optical drive. The hard drive is wired to the secondary
> > IDE interface, the optical to the primary.
[...]
> > With ata_piix driving the hard drive, performance is great, but the
> > optical device is never enumerated.

I have exactly the same problem with my IBM ThinkPad T43 and 2.6.14
kernel and still can't find a way to let ata_piix manage the hard drive
and generic_ide to manage the optical one. BIOS doesn't have any
settings for SATA on this notebook.

> Expected behavior, since the default for module option atapi_enabled
> is zero (disabled).
>
> > When the piix driver tries to load, the following occurs:
> >
> > ide0: I/O resource 0x1F0-0x1F7 not free.
> > ide0: ports already in use, skipping probe
> > ide1: I/O resource 0x170-0x177 not free.
> > ide1: ports already in use, skipping probe
[...]
> So far everything seems to be expected behavior.

Sorry, but provided ata_piix has ignored the optical drive, couldn't
corresponding I/O resource be left free so that subsequently loaded,
say, generic-ide module is able to get over and support the drive?

BTW, loading the modules in reverse order helped on 2.6.13 kernel (that
I'm currently using) as generic-ide didn't recognize the hard-drive at
all allowing ata_piix to get over it later. With 2.6.14 kernel
generic-ide does recognize both hard-drive and optical drive thus
preventing ata_piix from managing the hard-drive :(

--
Sergei.