Re: [patch 3/3] x86_64: Node local PDA -- allocate node local memoryfor pda

From: Eric Dumazet
Date: Fri Dec 02 2005 - 04:05:31 EST

Ravikiran G Thirumalai a écrit :
Patch uses a static PDA array early at boot and reallocates processor PDA
with node local memory when kmalloc is ready, just before pda_init.
The boot_cpu_pda is needed sice the cpu_pda is used even before pda_init for
that cpu is called (to set the static per-cpu areas offset table etc)

That sounds great.

I have only have one suggestion : If kernel is not NUMA, then maybe we should avoid one indirection to get the pda, and avoid some code too.

include/asm-x86_64/pda.h

#if !defined(CONFIG_NUMA)
extern struct x8664_pda _cpu_pda[];
#define cpu_pda(i) (&_cpu_pda[i])
#else
extern struct x8664_pda *_cpu_pda[];
#define cpu_pda(i) (_cpu_pda[i])
#endif

arch/x86_64/kernel/setup64.c

#if !definedd(CONFIG_NUMA)
struct x8664_pda _cpu_pda[NR_CPUS] __cacheline_aligned;
#else
struct x8664_pda *_cpu_pda[NR_CPUS] __read_mostly;
struct x8664_pda boot_cpu_pda[NR_CPUS] __cacheline_aligned;
#endif

#if defined(CONFIG_NUMA)
/* Allocate node local memory for AP pdas */
if (cpu) {
struct x8664_pda *newpda;
newpda = kmalloc_node(sizeof (struct x8664_pda), GFP_ATOMIC,
cpu_to_node(cpu));
if (newpda) {
printk("Allocating node local PDA for cpu %d at 0x%lx\n",
cpu, (unsigned long) newpda);
memcpy(newpda, pda, sizeof (struct x8664_pda));
pda = newpda;
cpu_pda(cpu) = pda;
}
else
printk("Could not allocate node local PDA for cpu %d\n",
cpu);
}
#endif

Eric