Re: Promise SATA oops

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Dec 02 2005 - 00:28:33 EST

Aaron Lehmann wrote:
I'm running 2.6.14.2 on an x86_64 (Athlon X2, i.e. SMP) with a Promise
TX4 SATAII 150 controller. The night I set up the machine, I got a
Promise-related oops (null pointer dereference IIRC), but was foolish
enough not to write it down. Since then, the machine has been
unstable, and I've suspected the same thing is recurring, but since I
use X it's very difficult to actually get at the oops. I ended up
setting up a ramdisk with a static busybox that I could use to poke
around if anything interesting happened. Just now everything using the
filesystem went into D-state, so I checked dmesg and saw uncorrectable
errors being reported on /dev/sdd. The system froze completely within
a minute. When I rebooted, I got the oops at the end of this message.
I was only able to copy the portion that fit on the screen. A second
reboot was sucessful. My RAID5 arrays are resyncing now, and I expect
that to complete normally because I've had to go through a lot of
resyncs since I set this system up and they were all sucessful. Once
that's done, I guess I'll run badblocks on sdd and see if anything
turns up. It would be a shame if that drive is bad, considering that
my 4 hard drives are brand new ones to replace a failed array I had
lots of problems with.

This should be fixed in 2.6.15-rcX...

Jeff