Re: [q] make modules_install as non-root?

From: Peter Williams
Date: Thu Dec 01 2005 - 22:04:06 EST

Coywolf Qi Hunt wrote:
2005/12/2, Peter Williams <pwil3058@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Coywolf Qi Hunt wrote:

Hello people,

I wrote my own installkernel so I can do `make install' as non-root
with the help of sudo. But how can we get to do `make modules_install'
as non-root with sudo as well?

The works of modules_install seem scattered over several places. Is
it a nice idea to factor out an *installmodules* script for `make
modules_install' to invoke?

ps:
Linus recommend us to build as non-root and install as root.
I ask if we should install as non-root too.

Personally, I just use "sudo make install" or "sudo make
modules_install" to do installations as an ordinary user. No need for
special scripts or modifications to the build procedure.

That's rather insecure. You have to add /usr/bin/make in your sudoers,
then an malicious Makefile could do harm.

Only if you run it with sudo.

I'm being paranoid. But we
all are since we avoid to use root.
--