Re: [patch 00/43] ktimer reworked

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Thu Dec 01 2005 - 19:35:55 EST

On Dec 01, 2005, at 19:02, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 22:15 +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
Heh, in my dumb non-native speaker mind I'd expectit the other way around, as in a timeout is expected to time out :) and a timer is expect to happen, as in say the timer the tells you your breakfast egg is ready.

Which is perfectly the point Kyle made.

In any case, the real important note here is that the two are pretty different concepts, ones that lend themselves to _very_ different optimizations, that are currently lumped together. The very fact that some developers easily get them confused says that we need a good clean implementation of both distinct APIs with comparable documentation, including a bunch of good example usages.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when you looked at it in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
-- Poul Anderson